IND application partner and family members - consultancy from Tentoo

Types of Visa for Knowledge Migrants

Expert guidance for navigating the Dutch visa system

Navigating the visa system can be one of the most challenging aspects of moving to a new country. For migrants seeking to move to the Netherlands, understanding the Dutch immigration law and visa system is crucial for a smooth transition. Tentoo is here to help. Our team of experienced immigration specialists provides expert guidance and support for individuals and businesses seeking to obtain the necessary visas and work permits for a successful relocation to the Netherlands.

Get personalised advice

Residence permit

As someone from outside the EU, you require one or more permits to work in the Netherlands. What are the various residence permits for work and to whom do they apply, and for how long?

Your employer in the Netherlands needs to apply for a residence permit if he intends to hire an employee from abroad. The residence permit your employer applies for may be a short-stay visa, a work permit for persons from outside the European Economic Area (TWV), a combined work and residence permit (GVVA) or an EU Blue Card.

These are the most common types of permits:

  • short-stay visa
  • long-stay visa (MVV)
  • permit knowledge migrants
  • TWV (from outside of the European Economic Area)
  • GVVA
  • EU Blue Card
Apply for consultancy

Short-stay visa

A short-stay visa grants you the right to stay in the Netherlands for a maximum of three months. This is ideal if you are coming to work as a highly skilled worker for a short period or visiting the Netherlands on business. You can apply for this visa from the Dutch Embassy in your country. The purpose of your trip must be clear. This visa is available to residents of almost 70 non-EU countries.

Long-stay visa (MVV)

If you are from outside the EU and wish to stay in the Netherlands for longer than three months, you will need an ‘MVV’, or provisional residence permit. A residence permit can be applied for directly if you apply for this visa via the entry and residence procedure. You must indicate your purpose for being in the Netherlands.

Tentoo - types of visa for knowledge migrants

Permit knowledge migrants

Employees who wish to hire you as a highly skilled migrant must start an entry and residence procedure at the IND. This option is only open to employers who are recognised by the IND. The IND will investigate whether there are any objections to admission on the grounds of public order or security risks. This procedure takes around two weeks. If the investigation produces a positive result and you meet the other conditions for highly skilled workers from abroad, you can pick up an MVV from the Dutch Embassy in your country. This document will allow you to travel to the Netherlands and pick up your residence permit from the IND.

If you do not require an MVV, your employer can start the application procedure for your work permit while you are in the Netherlands as a highly skilled migrant.


TWV stands for employment permit for persons from outside the European Economic Area. Your employer can apply for a TWV from the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). As part of the application procedure, your eligibility as a prospective employee who serves a ‘genuine Dutch interest’ will be assessed. In essence, this assessment considers whether your prospective employer really is unable to find suitable personnel in the Netherlands or elsewhere in the EU.

A highly skilled migrant does not require a TWV.

Consult our experts

Need help?

Our team of specialists are highly experienced in providing expert guidance and support to both individuals and businesses seeking to relocate to the Netherlands. From start to finish, we are committed to making the visa process as straightforward and stress-free as possible, so you can focus on making the most of your new life in the Netherlands.


GVVA stands for a combined residence and employment permit. An employer applies for this permit from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) if the migrant worker is to be employed for longer than three months. The IND assesses whether you, as a prospective employee, serve a ‘genuine Dutch interest’ (the important consideration here again is whether the employer really is unable to find suitable personal in the Netherlands or elsewhere in the EU).

The permit consists of a residence document for you as the employee and a supplementary document for you and your employer. This supplementary document indicates which employer you are allowed to work for as a migrant worker and under which conditions. The GVVA is not issued to highly skilled migrants, but to ‘regular’ workers not originating from from the EEA or Switzerland.

There is an exception for some migrant workers for whom no work permit (TWV or GVVA) is necessary, as is the case for highly skilled migrants.


EU Blue Card

In addition to the Dutch highly skilled migrant scheme, there is a European scheme for highly skilled migrants: the EU Blue Card. To be eligible for an EU Blue Card, highly skilled migrants must:

  • have completed a three-year Bachelor’s study program
  • hold a degree certificate whose credentials are recognisd by the International Credential Evaluation (IDW) service
  • earn at least €5,160 gross per month

Faster track

This is a higher income and education requirement than required of regular highly skilled migrants. Holders of an EU Blue Card have a faster track to permanent residency than highly skilled migrants coming to and working in the Netherlands under the Dutch program.

Insurances for freelancers with Alicia Insurance through Tentoo

We’re ready to assist you

Reach out to us

Our experienced team of specialists is here to assist you with obtaining the necessary visas and work permits for a successful relocation to the Netherlands. Please fill out the form on the right and we will be in touch shortly.

  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.